Last month your state Senator Luke Rankin voted to repeal the state budget transparency law – a good law that required open meetings in public.
On Monday, your state Senator Luke Rankin voted for the largest budget in state history…much of it in secret.
Remember, this is YOUR money. YOUR state Senator Luke Rankin voted for all of this.
Here are the winners and losers in the state budget:
- Huge out-of-state corporations
- $200 million for a port in Charleston named after the most corrupt politician in the state Corrupt Hugh Leatherman.
Your state Senator Luke Rankin wants you to pay all that money so that Amazon, Boeing and Chinese-owned Volvo won’t have to.
- $8.3 million to Gallo Wine/alcohol maker for roads and infrastructure.
While OUR roads continue to crumble, your state Senator Luke Rankin wants you to pay for a winemaker’s brand-new road in Chester county.
- Corrupt state legislators
- Senate Budget writer “Corrupt” Hugh Leatherman’s concrete company still receives millions in SCDOT contracts.
- House Budget writer Murrell “Money-scam” Smith’s law firm receives over $1 million from companies that have lobbyists in the Statehouse . Smith’s medical equipment company still receives state contracts.
- After state legislators took $1 billion more from us than they originally asked for, your state Senator Luke Rankin didn’t return a nickel. No income tax cut. No sales tax cut. Nothing.
- Thanks to your state Senator Luke Rankin repealing the state budget transparency law, there is no legal recourse to force them to hold “joint, open meetings”. These pet projects were decided behind closed doors with secret deals. No public meetings. No way to follow the money. Politicians get rich on our backs.
- And thanks to our state’s weak income disclosure laws, legislators can cash-in by laundering OUR money to THEIR businesses without any reporting.
Call and/or text your state Senator Luke Rankin and ask them why they voted to spend your money on these secret pet projects.
Ask them why they haven’t passed laws to disclose ALL of their income sources.
Ask them why they continue to allow Corrupt Hugh Leatherman to get rich on our dime.
Here’s their personal number: 843-602-4654
*Want to know more about Luke Rankin's voting record, who funds their campaign, and how they make a living? Click here.
*Help FAN of SC spread the word about Luke Rankin's voting record. Click here.
*Tell Governor Henry McMaster to veto this shady, massive state budget. Demand he bring the legislature back to Columbia and hold public meetings like the old state budget transparency law required. Click here.