The Pickens County legislative delegation town hall meeting is TONIGHT at 6pm at the Carr Center in Easley.
While this is a great opportunity to meet with your Columbia employees (state legislators) and give them a performance review...
…it is also a meeting where your Statehouse employees are supposed to appoint local citizens to powerful local boards and commissions.
Your state legislators are responsible for choosing people who oversee:
- Pickens County roads
- Pickens County school curriculum
- Pickens County elections
- the Pickens County foster care program
- Pickens County water recreation areas
Your state Senators also recommend Magistrate Court judges in Pickens County.
State Senator Rex Rice – who is the chairman of the Pickens legislative delegation – told citizens a few months ago that these important and powerful appointments were made “over email” exchanges with fellow state legislators.
Candidates for these important positions are NOT vetted by Pickens County citizens.
And we have no idea how each of our state legislators voted on those candidates.
The worst example of this secret appointment process?
The Pickens County Board of Elections.
Last year, Pickens County state legislators appointed a far-left activist from Clemson to oversee elections in Pickens County. Lillian Boatwright is now the Secretary of the Board of Elections and Voter Registration.
- She was not vetted by Pickens County citizens at a legislative delegation meeting.
- We don’t know her qualifications to oversee Pickens County elections and voter rolls.
- And state legislators secretly and quietly appointed her without telling the public.
State legislators should NOT have these appointment powers to begin with – they should be made by the Governor or the County Council.
And state politicians should NOT be making appointments behind closed doors.
WHAT CAN YOU DO RIGHT NOW?
- ATTEND THE PICKENS COUNTY LEGISLATIVE DELEGATION MEETING TONIGHT at 6:00pm
Here are the details of the event:
Who: All Pickens County state politicians
When: TONIGHT - Tuesday, July 20th
Where: Carr Center – West End Hall
201 South 5th Street
Easley, SC 29640
Click HERE to let us know you’re coming and reserve a spot for dinner on us afterward.
2. SPEAK TO YOUR STATE LEGISLATORS AT THE MEETING TONIGHT
You can make it very clear to your state legislators:
- ALL legislative delegation meetings must be held in Pickens County.
- ALL candidates must be vetted in public by Pickens County citizens at legislative delegation meetings.
- ALL candidates must be voted on by legislators at Pickens County legislative delegation meetings.
No more appointments over email.
No delegation meetings should be held anywhere outside of Pickens County.
And no more secret appointments.
3. CHECK YOUR LEGISLATOR’S VOTING RECORD, CAMPAIGN DONATIONS and MORE
Want to know who funds their re-election campaign?
Want to know how they earn a living?
Click HERE to find out the answer to all of those questions.
FAN of SC has compiled that information about YOUR state politicians onto one website specifically designed for YOU.
You can print it out or download it to your phone for the tonight’s meeting.
*Remember, FAN of SC is hosting everyone at Merrell's Pizza after the meeting.