Last month your state Senator Michael Johnson voted to do away with the state budget transparency law – a good law that required legislators to hold open meetings in public.
On Monday, the state Senate passed the largest budget in state history…much of it in secret.
Your state Senator Michael Johnson didn’t vote against this horrible state budget.
Johnson didn’t vote for it either.
He didn’t vote at all.
Remember, this is YOUR money. The state budget is one of the most important votes your representatives will make.
Here are the winners and losers in the state budget:
- Huge out-of-state corporations
- $200 million for a port in Charleston named after the most corrupt politician in the state Corrupt Hugh Leatherman.
State politicians want you to pay all that money so that Amazon, Boeing and Chinese-owned Volvo won’t have to.
- $8.3 million grant to California-based Gallo Wine/alcohol maker for road.
While OUR roads continue to crumble, state legislators want you to pay for a winemaker’s brand-new road in Chester county.
- Corrupt state legislators
- Senate Budget writer “Corrupt” Hugh Leatherman’s concrete company still receives millions in SCDOT contracts.
- House Budget writer Murrell “Money-scam” Smith’s law firm receives over $1 million from companies that employ lobbyists in the Statehouse. Smith’s medical equipment company has received $2 million in state contracts.
- After sending state legislators $1 billion more than they originally asked for, they didn’t return a nickel. No income tax cut. No sales tax cut. Nothing for South Carolinians.
- Thanks to your state Senator Michael Johnson repealing the state budget transparency law, there is no legal recourse to force them to hold “joint, open meetings”. These pet projects were decided behind closed doors with secret deals and horse-trading on votes we don’t even know about. No public meetings. No way to follow the money. Politicians get rich.
- And thanks to our state’s weak income disclosure laws, legislators can cash-in by laundering OUR money to THEIR businesses without any reporting. Just ask Corrupt Hugh Leatherman.
Call and/or text your state Senator Michael Johnson and ask him why he didn’t show up in Columbia to vote against this corrupt state budget.
Ask him why the hasn’t passed laws to force state politicians to disclose ALL of their income sources.
Ask him why Corrupt Hugh Leatherman continues to get rich on our dime.
Here’s your state Senator Michael Johnson’s cell phone number: 803-984-0126
*Want to know more about Michael Johnson’s voting record, who funds his campaign, and how he makes a living? Click here.
*Help FAN of SC spread the word about Michael Johnson’s voting record. Click here.
*Tell Governor Henry McMaster to veto this shady, massive state budget. Demand he bring the legislature back to Columbia and hold public meetings like the old state budget transparency law required. Click here.